In 2001, Stave stools were launched at the Tasmanian Wood Design Collection’s Grand Exhibition and received an exceptional award – “A furniture item with a major design component that is based on the sustainable application of Tasmanian regrowth or plantation eucalypt designed for high-quality manufacture and sale.”
I first met Allan Witt when we moved to Tasmania in 2007. Our initial shared interest was with watercraft, but I was always attracted to Allan’s Stave Stools.
Unfortunately, Allan passed away in 2021.
It was very gratifying for me to be able to give an undertaking to Allan that I would continue to make his Stave Stools available into the future.
This text is from the WittDesign website. You can see that these Stools were close to his heart.
Awarded Design – Stave Stools – Well on the way to becoming a classic.
- Comfortable, light, and designed to delight with a contemporary twist.
- Made in Tasmania by skilled artisans, these stools continue the honest practice of generations of island cabinet makers.
- Timbers are selected for their beauty and strength.
- The materials (timber, upholstery, and metal) are used wisely and sustainably.
- We use high-strength core Eucalypt veneers supplied by Ta Ann Tasmania’s rotary peeling mill. This uses regrowth trees from Tasmania’s southern production forests.
- Rotary peeling creates little waste and requires minimal energy for drying.
- Our feature veneers come from certified Tasmanian forests and are used very sparingly.
- Since changing the core laminations from plywood to Ta Ann regrowth veneers, we have reduced the number of glue lines and manufacturing operations. So, we have improved on what was already awarded for its design and sustainability:
A furniture item with a major design component that is based on the sustainable application of Tasmanian regrowth or plantation eucalypt and designed for high-quality manufacture and sale. (Tasmanian Wood Design Collection, Biennial Grand Exhibition, 2001)
- Wood is one of our most sustainable structural materials providing low embodied energy, carbon capture, and regrowth replacement.
- Stave Stools can be easily maintained from one generation to the next. All parts are easily separated and easily refurbished. You can even update your colours by removing the upholstery shell and taking it to an upholsterer. The wooden components can also be easily refinished.
So now it’s Canoes and Lampshades and Stave Stools!
|Counter Stool 660mm (23″)
Bar Stool 770mm (30″)
|Choose from all Tasmanian-grown specialty veneers – Tas Oak, Blackwood, Myrtle, Celery Top
|Standard options are black or red leather. If you have a particular fabric or leather that you prefer, please obtain what you want locally and post it to me. Either, cut it into discs of 450mm (18″) diameter or ensure the piece is big enough to cut the required number without compromise.
|Available as a flat-packed item with all hardware and instructions or fully assembled for local pick-up/delivery.
|The price is $650 each. As these are made to order there will be a short lead time involved.
Please email your inquiry directly to me at email@example.com or send me a message via the Contact Page
Note: Image credit for the beautiful photos of Stave Stools on this page goes to Peter Whyte Photography in Hobart.